It’s a good time to detox after the indulgent holidays are done for another year. Detoxing is the body’s way of neutralizing or eliminating toxins from the body. Sweating is one way to detox naturally, and there are different foods that can help – and taste good too.
Here are six super detox foods to add to your diet:
- Apples: Apples are nutrient-rich and contain pectin, which is a soluable fibre that helps remove toxins from your system.
- Avocados: Delicious avocados contain insoluable and soluble fibre, which help keep your insides clean! Guacamole is a crowd pleaser, or dice avocado and add it to a spinach and strawberry salad.
- Beets: This brightly coloured root vegetable is filled with lots of good nutrients, including betacyanin (thought to have cancer fighting properities), magnesium, iron, zinc and calcium. Grate raw beets into your salad, or grill and drizzle them with balsalmic vinegar.
- Ginger: Experts say ginger spikes your metabolism – and that helps to flush out waste. Eating more ginger may also keep your appetite in check. Ginger tea is delicious, or grate some ginger and add it to stir-fried vegetables.
- Goji Berries: Goji berries contain lots of vitamin C and beta-carotene. Both these nutrients are great for detoxing from the inside out. Add a handful to your salad or eat them as is.
- Onions: Onions contain amino acids, which are thought to help detox the liver. They’re best in their raw state, so use them in salads or dips.