1) Hand and dish towels: Hand towels in the washroom and dish towels in the kitchen are the most used towels in a household. Put out fresh clean towels every day and use this trick to freshen up the dingy ones: Put towels into the washer with the usual detergent, but add 1 cup of white vinegar to the rinse cycle – it will remove detergent residue and get towels looking fresh again.
2) Kitchen counters: Think about all the items you put on your counter (keys, mail, your purse, dirty dishes) – never mind food. That’s why it’s important to wipe up spills right away to avoid stains, and to clean the counter every day. Use a non-abrasive cleaner to wipe the counter. If your counter is laminate and is textured, use a scrub brush to get into the nooks and crannies for a deeper clean.
3) Shower walls: The best way to keep shower walls nice and clean is to dry them after every use. Use a squeegee to dry the walls after every use. This will prevent mildew stains and any water stains from developing. Once a week, you can do a deeper clean with a bathroom cleaning product.
4) Sinks: Think that washing your hands or the dishes will keep the sink clean? It’s quite the opposite – you leave grime and bacteria behind when you wash your hands. Use an eraser-type sponge to remove marks, then plug the drain, filling the sink with warm water. Add a few drops of dish soap, wash the sink with a clean microfibre cloth, and then rinse with clean water.
5) Dirty dishes: If you don’t have a dishwasher, it’s important to wash dishes every day; it will make this chore easier and keep the kitchen cleaner. If you can’t wash them all immediately, at least rinse them off well to avoid a difficult job later.
6) Pet’s eating area: Ever watch a dog or cat eat? They’re not tidy eaters and some even wander away from their dish as they crunch away at their food. They also drink water in between mouthfuls of dry food. This kind of dirt accumulates and, because it’s mixed with saliva, it gets sticky! Best to give this area a good wipe every day with a damp microfibre cloth.