Not everyone can – or wants – to plan a week away during the summer. In fact, some people like to take advantage of neat activities in their own backyard. Here's a guide:
- Get up early and go to a fresh farmers market on the other side of town.
- Plan a neighbourhood potluck barbecue and invite local families. Create an activity theme such as softball games or badminton – and include small prizes for everyone.
- Go to a local zoo. Let kids linger at exhibits they find fun and interesting. If there's no zoo, visit a kid-friendly museum or aquarium instead.
- Head to a theme park. Check ahead as many offer annual passes for not much more than the cost of a one-day ticket.
- Plan a picnic at a nearby conservation area or park. Pack a lunch, a blanket and a Frisbee.
- Camp in your own backyard. Borrow or buy a tent, then after you've set it up, gather air mattresses, sleeping bags or blankets, pillows and mosquito repellent. Pack drinks in thermoses and snacks in Ziploc bags.
- Last but not least, have your house cleaned by the professional house cleaners at MOLLY MAID, so it feels like you're staying at a nice hotel. Part of the pleasure and fun of going on vacation is having all the cleaning chores taken care of by someone else!