The Vinegar Institute provides these kitchen cleaning tips using vinegar:
- Coffee maker cleaner (automatic): Fill the reservoir with white distilled vinegar and run it through a brewing cycle. Rinse thoroughly with water when the cycle is finished (be sure to check the owner’s manual for specific instructions).
- Microwave: To loosen splattered on food and to deodourize, combine ¼ cup of white distilled vinegar and 1 cup of water in a microwave-safe dish. Set on high for 30 seconds.
- Deodourize the kitchen drain: Pour one cup of white distilled vinegar down the drain once a week. Let stand 30 minutes and then flush with cold water.
- Clean the refrigerator: Wash the inside surfaces with a solution of equal parts water and white distilled vinegar.
- Clean and disinfect wood cutting boards: Wipe with full strength white distilled vinegar.
- Ant deterrent: Wash counter tops, cabinets and floors with white distilled vinegar (as long as the manufacturer’s label allows for it on each surface).
- Fruit flies: Place a bowl filled with ½ quart water, 2 Tbsp. white sugar, 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar and a couple of drops of dish soap to attract the fruit flies. Eliminating the source of attraction, like ripened produce, will help control this as well.
- Cleaner dishes and glasses: Pour 1 ½ cup to 2 cups white distilled vinegar in the bottom of dishwasher, along with regular dishwasher soap. Wash on a full cycle.
- Remove refrigerator smells: Place 1 cup apple cider vinegar in a glass and set in the refrigerator. Within 2 days, any smell should be gone!