Table and floor fans are a blessing when it’s hot and humid. But these cooling mechanisms are dust collectors too. Cleaning your fans regularly will help them work better and last longer. Here’s how:
- Turn off the fan and unplug it.
- Remove the front grill, either by unsnapping the cover or by unscrewing it with a screwdriver (see manufacturer’s guide). Some grill covers; however, do not come off and therefore you will have to work around it by using a hair dryer to blow away as much dust from your fan blades as possible.
- Once the grill is removed, unscrew the blade cap and remove the blades if possible. This will make it easier for you to wipe them down. Wipe the inside of the grill and blades with a damp microfibre cloth.
- Next, dip a cotton ball or Q-tip into a bowl of water and carefully wipe around the motor to remove any lint or dust from the crevices.
- Let the inside of the fan air dry, then replace the blades, blade cover and grill.
- Wipe the outside of the grill to collect any lingering dust.