There’s nothing like the natural beauty and warmth of hardwood floors. The professional residential cleaning experts at MOLLY MAID suggest using tips to keep your floors looking flawless.
- Avoid walking on your hardwood floors in high heels as this can easily damage the surface.
- Place felt pads on the bottom of your furniture to avoid scratching your hardwood floors.
- Use a doormat to keep dirt and salt off your wooden floors. Road salt particles embedded in the soles of your shoes can result in scratching.
- Keep your thermostat between 60 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit, with a 30 to 50 percent humidity level year round. This will help reduce the risk of wooden floor planks buckling or gapping. Any drastic and prolonged changes in temperature can have a negative effect on your hardwood floor.
- Maintain your hardwood floors by sweeping or vacuuming them weekly. Make sure to use the correct vacuum attachment when cleaning your hardwood floors.
- Damp-mop your floors every other week using warm water. Make sure to buff them dry as you go. Never wet-mop or use floor polish to clean your hardwood floors.
- If you notice a small scratch on your hardwood floor, don’t panic! The meat of a walnut is all you need! Rub the walnut meat along the scratch and then wipe the surface using a microfibre cloth. The natural oil in the walnut will help repair the wood.
- After seven to ten years of foot and pet traffic on your hardwood floors, call the experts to give your floors a good sanding and refinishing.