When the rooms in your home begin to smell a bit dusty, try
these natural, air freshener ideas. They're a refreshing change to
chemical air fresheners that you buy.
- Open the windows.
- Set out bowls of vinegar, which absorb odours.
- Make your own citrus air freshener for the bathroom:
2 cups hot water
1/8 cup baking soda
½ cup lemon juice
- Dissolve the baking soda in hot water, then add the lemon juice
and allow to cool.
- Pour liquid into spray bottle, shake, and use as needed.
- For bedrooms, try a vanilla air freshener:
1 cup water
1 cup household vinegar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- Bring all ingredients to a boil then simmer over medium heat
for two minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Pour liquid into spray bottle, shake and use as needed.
Note: Increase/decrease the amount of
vanilla to your preference.
- Fill a pot with water and add favourite fragrant ingredients
such as cinnamon, herbs and citrus peels, and simmer all day.
- For the fridge or bathroom, try an orange freshener:
- Cut an orange in half and remove the pulp;
- Fill the empty shell with some salt;
- Put the freshener in the back of your fridge or behind your
- Keep the orange shell in a small bowl so it won't tip over and
spill the salt.
The salt absorbs stale and unpleasant odors while the shell
releases a fresh, orange scent.