When weather keeps doors and windows closed tight, the air inside your home can get a little stale.
While the professional house cleaners at MOLLY MAID love that green cleaning products help create a clean and fresh scent, there are also other ways to get rid of smells you don't like… and freshen up the air naturally.
Try these au natural air freshening techniques:
– Baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) is a great absorber of smells. Put a handful into the bottom of your kitchen garbage. Place an open box in the fridge.
– Vinegar with lemon juice in small dishes absorbs odors around the house.
– Having houseplants helps reduce odours in the home. The best air-filtering plants, according to DavidSuzuki.org: spider plants, peace lilies, snake plants, elephant ears, weeping figs, rubber plants and bamboo palms.
– Prevent cooking odours by simmering vinegar (1 tbsp in 1 cup water) on the stove while cooking. To get strong smells such as fish and onion off utensils and cutting boards, wipe them with vinegar and wash in soapy water.
– Keep fresh coffee grounds on the counter.
– Use naturally-scented candles.
– Grind up a slice of lemon in the garbage disposal.
– Simmer water and cinnamon or other spices on the stove.
– Place bowls of fragrant dried herbs and flowers in each room.