All decks, even low maintenance decks, require regular cleaning. Over time, leaves, dirt, mold, and mildew can create a build-up that can be slippery – and doesn't look very good either. Visit your favourite hardware store and speak to someone about which product to use – and then use this step-by-step guide.
1) Remove all furniture, grills, and objects from the deck.
2) Sweep the deck removing all loose dirt and leaves.
3) Use a slender tool to remove any leaves and other debris that is trapped between the boards.
4) Rinse the deck off using a garden hose or pressure washer. When using a pressure washer be sure to raise the nozzle a few feet off the deck to prevent damaging the wood.
5) Follow any mixing directions for the cleaner. Then, apply it by working it into the deck with a stiff bristle brush or push broom. Allow the foam to sit on the deck for about 15 minutes.
7) Rinse the foam off the deck with a garden hose or pressure washer.
8) If a stain persists, repeat the process as necessary.