This simple quiz will help you determine whether or not your carpets need to be professionally cleaned. Complete the quiz by answering ‘yes’ or ‘no’ to the following questions:
- Do your carpets look dirty or discoloured?
- Are there stains on your carpet that you cannot remove on your own?
- Do you have pets living in your home?
- Can you remember the last time you had your carpet professionally cleaned?
- Does your house smell musty?
- Are you planning on hosting any parties or important events at your home in the coming month?
If you answered ‘yes’ to most of these questions, it likely time to have your carpets professionally cleaned. Ask your friends for referrals, and be sure to do some research in order to determine which company is best for you.
On the contrary, if you answered ‘no’, to most of these questions, here are a few tips to help you keep your carpets clean:
- Vacuum your carpets frequently. Keep the vacuum filter clean, and empty your vacuum cleaner bag or canister regularly. Purchase a door mat and ask guests to remove their shoes before coming in. This will prevent dust and dirt from being dispersed throughout your home.
- Attend to spills right away. Apply water to the area and use a microfibre cloth to blot the spill. If water alone doesn’t work, use a mixture of one part water and one part white vinegar. It is important to deal with spills quickly to prevent them from turning into stains.
- Never rub the stain, as this may cause it to set deeper into your carpet and damage the carpet fibres. Dabbing or blotting the area with a microfibre cloth is the best method for removing spills.