There's nothing like a long weekend to put escape plans into action! Here is a checklist of things to think about for your trip whether you're visiting friends or family out of town, camping or staying in a hotel.
- Be prepared. Research your destination so you have a few ideas about what to do when you're there – even if most of your activity involves sitting on the dock with a coffee or cold beverage.
- The important stuff. Remember your passport and other ID, credit cards and any medications you might need. Most everything else can be purchased later, if left behind.
- Plastic bags. Bring a handful of plastic bags of different sizes. They're the perfect storage for essential toiletries – like contact solution, lotion and your toothbrush and toothpaste. Larger bags double as makeshift laundry hampers!
- Wardrobe. Bring two changes of clothing, a few extra shirts, a long sleeved jacket and a pair of comfortable shoes. Unless you plan a fancy dinner out, that's really all you need.
- Keep it light. If you have to think twice about bringing something – don't. Leave heavy books, big bottles of shampoo and extra hiking boots behind. Make your trip as stress free as possible by bringing just the basics.
- Bad sleeper? Bring your own pillow along, if that will help.
- Hostess gift. If you are staying with friends or family, be sure to bring something special for your hostess. Flowers – purchased on the way – are always a lovely gift and brighten up any home.