As winter gets closer, it’s important to draft-proof your home to keep the warm air inside and the cold air out. The professional residential cleaning experts at MOLLY MAID suggest trying these helpful tips to get your home ready for the cold months ahead.
- Hold a lit candle in front of your window to test for leaks and drafts. If the flame from the candle begins to move significantly, your window is leaking air. To seal the leak, apply clear caulking to the outer edges of the window. For further insulation, you can also apply an interior insulating film to your window pane.
- Install door sweeps at the bottom edge of each door to prevent warm air from escaping. For sliding doors, install foam weather stripping to the inside of the door for added protection.
- If cold air is entering your home through the bottom of your baseboards, use a clear sealer to stop the leak.
- Check the exterior of your home for any cracks in the walls, doors or windows. Use caulking to fill any small cracks. Check common openings such as dryer vents, outdoor electrical wires, pipes, and outdoor hose faucet too.
- Check your exterior outlets and install a foam gasket behind the outlet plate. Insert plastic plug covers as well to prevent additional drafts.