Now that fall is upon us, it’s time to cozy up your home for the cold weather to come. Here are some ways to keep your house warm, without cranking up the thermostat.
1. Close off unused rooms. Keep doors closed to rooms you do not use often. Close the vents inside the unoccupied rooms as well to help distribute more heat throughout the rest of your home.
2. Set ceiling fans to rotate clockwise. Setting them clockwise at a lower speed will help drive warm air down.
3. Change bedding. One of the simplest ways to keep warm during the colder months is to upgrade your bedding to include flannel sheets and a down comforter.
4. Cover bare floors. Bare floors that aren’t insulated properly can account for as much as 10 percent of heat loss. Use area rugs to help keep cool air from making its way through your flooring.
5. Don’t use the bathroom fan. After showering, open the door and let the steam help heat the home.
6. Rearrange furniture. Move chairs and couches away from windows and any outside walls. Avoid placing large pieces of furniture in front of radiators too as they will absorb the heat.
7. Add warmth. Make your living room more inviting by adding cozy blankets to snuggle up with.
8. Change window coverings. On sunny days, open curtains and blinds to allow the sunshine to help warm up your home.