When you combine cleaning with decorating for the holidays, the time will go by quickly and oh so enjoyably!
Here are five great holiday cleaning tips while you decorate:
- Make Space for the Christmas Tree: Most people have to make space for an indoor Christmas tree. As you move chairs and other furnishings around, be sure to have your vacuum and duster on hand. This is a wonderful opportunity to clean the room.
- Fireplace Mantle: Do you have a collection of angels or Santa figurines? Clean off your fireplace mantle or the window sill and be sure to dust and wipe as you do. You might de-clutter at the same time too, say the Home Service Professionals at MOLLY MAID. Is there anything on these surfaces that you don't want to display or keep anymore? Dust off and shine up each Santa and angel as you create a nice display.
- Decorate the Staircase: Look closely at the staircase railing (and staircase in general) because this is where dust and dirt accumulate and there are likely scuffs and possibly pet hair as well. Grab your duster and dust these areas. Then, vacuum if possible. Use a damp cloth to wipe away any marks. It might also be the time to pull out paint and touch up walls, etc. Once this is done, wind garland or a string of lights along the staircase.
- Holiday Scents: Do you use various fragranced products in your house? Now's the time to switch your regular products with holiday scented hand moisturizers and room fresheners. Think holiday: peppermint, ginger and evergreen. It's also nice to put cinnamon and other scented candles in bathrooms. Wipe all surfaces clean before you do.
- Light Dusting: Hanging mistletoe is lots of fun for parties and holiday gatherings, but first dust and clean the lights – or a guest may get a surprise dusting when they pucker up!