March 17th is St. Patrick's Day and what better way to celebrate than by going green when you clean the house! The cleaning experts at MOLLY MAID provide these green cleaning tips:
- Wash the majority of your laundry in cold water (bed sheets should be washed in hot water). There are many laundry soaps now available that have been formulated for cold water.
- Open curtains and shutters throughout your home and enjoy the natural light, rather than keeping the lights on and wasting energy (and money).
- Speaking of lights, always remember to turn lights off when you leave a room. Also, shut down any electronic devices you aren't using (this will also save money on your hydro bill).
- Install rain barrels at the downspouts of your eaves troughs to collect rain water – and use it for watering household plants. You can use the previously collected rain water for your garden too, if it doesn't rain for a few days.
- Let other people reuse items you no longer need or want. Donate clothes, toys and other household supplies to a local charity. Someone else is sure to find a new treasure from your old trinkets.