These days, every mom is technologically advanced. It seems like no one can function without a smartphone, laptop and in some cases, multiple devices to keep our work and personal lives separate. But how often do these items truly get cleaned?
Much like magnets, your cell phone, computer keyboard and mouse attract anything and everything you touch. In fact, one microbiologist has gone as far as to say that keyboards are nearly five times filthier than a toilet seat.
The solution? A safe but sticky Super Slime! Kids will love to make it and it’s a great way to remove dust and lint.
But head’s up: using cleaning slime is tricky. DO NOT let the slime sit on any piece of electronics for more than a second, as it will start to ooze into the unit and could potentially cause damage.
How to Make Super Slime
To make homemade cleaning slime you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 oz white school glue
- 1 oz of hot water
- 1 drop of food coloring (optional)
- 1 drop of your favourite essential oil (optional)
- ½ cup of hot water
- 1 tsp Borax laundry booster
- In a small bowl, mix 2 ounces of white school glue with 1 ounce of hot water. Clear glue is not recommended as it makes the slime crumble. Stir until combined. If you’re adding a touch of colour and scent add to this concoction.
- In another small bowl, add the Borax to the hot water. Mix until the Borax has dissolved. With adult supervision, using boiling water makes the slime shinier.
- Now it’s time to combine the Borax water with the glue water. Stir continually until firm. Don’t worry. It will start out as a gooey mess, but should firm up as you mix. You may find that not all the water is absorbed. Leave excess in the bowl.
- Knead with your hands until it becomes a dry ball of ooze. This can take about five minutes. This homemade cleaning slime is designed to be firmer than regular slime so will not leave any residue behind.
- DO NOT USE the cleaning slime on your electronics if the slime won’t roll into a ball.
- Once you have the right consistency and your slime is ready for mom, take a few minutes to create a custom Cleaning Slime label for a jar or Ziploc freezer bag. Or download our label here Cleaning Slime Label!
This fun craft will not only keep the kids occupied for a few hours, but can then help out mom by cleaning up her overlooked gadgets! Want to go the extra mile and surprise mom? In addition to the cleaning her electronics, find a local MOLLY MAID near you to book a professional deep clean in your home! With locations all across Canada, you’ll have a clean, comfortable and stress-free home just in time for Mother’s Day!
Photo by Gerd Altmann