'So much to do and so little time' – sounds like the run-up to Christmas, doesn't it? With cooking, last minute shopping, gift wrapping, cards to write and house cleaning, it's a wonder how you get to enjoy the holidays. But there are a few ways you can build in time. Here are 5 small jobs that you can take care of ahead of time… so that you can enjoy the holiday magic.
- Design a rough menu plan for the days surrounding Christmas when you may have guests. Think of ways to decorate your table – perhaps a centrepiece or Christmas poppers on each plate. Dress up desserts with raspberries, mint leaves, or chocolate shavings. Taking just one extra minute for a final touch will have your guests in awe. This will also help you with your last minute grocery shopping list to limit trips to the grocery store.
- Clean out the fridge and sort through the freezer to make space for Christmas food. Rummaging through an overstocked, messy freezer, trying to find food can become irritating. This will also ensure you have room to store all those leftovers!
- Double check cutlery and glassware and avoid the annoyance of discovering on Christmas morning there aren't enough glasses or one of the spoons has mysteriously disappeared. You'll be so pleased you did.
- Sharpen knives including the carving knife well in advance. This makes all the chopping, peeling and carving so much easier.
- Prepare all the food that you can ahead of time if you are entertaining. There are plenty of things you can do in advance such as pre-boil the parsnips and potatoes separately for three minutes and then freeze them before roasting a few days later. Cranberry sauce can also be made a couple days in advance. Chop up vegetables for salads and store them in clearly-marked plastic bags. Cut squares of butter for the table and keep them wrapped in plastic wrap until you're ready to arrange them beautifully on a plate.
- Give yourself the gift of regular MOLLY MAID cleaning services. It may be the best gift you get this year!
* Bonus Tip – NOW FOR THE HOLIDAY MAGIC *
Christmas Day and Christmas Eve are a perfect time to recreate traditions and create new memories. Plan to do one special activity this year that you've enjoyed in other years. Share quiet times with individual family members. Read or watch holiday classics with friends or family in front of a fire. Don't let these precious moments escape – be sure to capture them on camera too!