The holidays are the perfect time to clean your indoor lights and fixtures of dirt, dust and grime. The professional residential cleaning experts at MOLLY MAID suggest following these cleaning tips to help your lights glitter this holiday season.
- Start upstairs and work your way down. MOLLY MAID always suggests working from the top to bottom, left to right, as it’s the most efficient way to clean.
- Turn on each light to make sure the bulbs are working. Take note of any that need replacing, then turn off the light (make sure the bulbs aren’t hot) and replace any burnt-out bulbs. Turn the lights back on to ensure the replacements are working properly.
- For various types of lamp shades, each has its own recommended cleaning procedure. Carefully remove the shade and clean them accordingly:
- Fabric / rattan lampshades: clean fabric lampshades with a soft vacuum attachment. Have your fabric lampshades professionally cleaned, if necessary.
- Metal / paper lampshades: clean the lampshades with a slightly damp microfibre cloth.
- Glass / plastic lampshades: wash the lampshades by hand in a sink full of warm, soapy water. Rinse and dry thoroughly with a clean microfibre cloth. Do not put any glass fixtures into the dishwasher. Excessive heat can easily break delicate glass covers, or fade exterior detailing. Also, automatic dishwasher detergent can dull or scratch decorative designs and coating.
- Before reassembling the lamp shade, wipe off the bulb and base of the light with a damp microfibre cloth. Do not wipe down the bulb or base if the fixture is still hot, as this can cause the bulb to shatter.
- Carefully reassemble the lighting fixtures upon completion.