If you have a cottage or have a camping trip or even a day trip planned, it is important to always have a portable first aid kit at the ready. Always see a doctor if symptoms are severe.
- Antihistamines are for treating mild allergic reactions such as hay fever, insect bites and hives. Some may cause drowsiness.
- Insect repellents containing DEET diethltolyamide are thought to be the most effective but many people use natural insect repellents too that rely on citronella and other natural ingredients.
- Sun protection is a must. Choose sunscreen with a SPF of 15 or more and ensure it protects against both UVA and UVB rays. Apply 20-30 minutes before going outsides and then reapply every few hours.
- Aloe Vera helps soothe irritated and sunburned skin.
- Bite cream such as Calamine lotion can help relieve symptoms of insect bites and stings.
- Travel sickness pills are important if anyone in the family gets carsick.
- Ibuprofen is good to have on hand.
- Band aids.
- Hydrogen peroxide is a topical solution that acts as an anti infective and cleaning agent for wounds, cuts and abrasions.