Finally; you’ve met that girl or guy of your dreams and it’s time to take the next step in your relationship and move in together! While the next step is exciting and fun, deciding what items to bring with you to your new home can be difficult. Here’s a guide to help you make it work.
- Start by choosing a room in your house or apartment. Declutter the entire room before moving onto the next, to maximize effectiveness. Decide which items you would like to keep, and which items you no longer need. Not sure what to keep? Here are some questions to ask yourself:
- When was the last time I actually used it? If you haven’t used the item in over five months, it’s time to part with it.
- Does it serve more than one purpose? If you have items that serve only one purpose, and take up a lot of space, you may want to consider getting rid of it.
- Do you like it? Any clothing or furniture that no longer suits your taste or style should be donated. If you have items you are ‘on the fence’ about, it’s probably time to part with them too.
- Does it fit? Clothing, and even furniture that will not fit in your new space, should be donated.
- Is it in good condition? Items such as clothing, linens, pots, pans and plates that are no longer in good condition should be thrown out or given away.
- Once you have decided which items to keep, make an inventory list. Have your significant other do the same. Combine your lists and make decisions together about what items to keep and which to get rid of. Remember to be compassionate. There may be some items of sentimental value that you and your partner have to keep.
- If you both can’t decide, the best solution may be to throw out or donate both of your items and buy a new one together. This type of de-cluttering may be the easiest way to avoid arguments.
- Once you have narrowed down the list, pack up your belongings. Label each box carefully. This will make it easier to unpack once you move-in. Any items you want to donate, pack them up and bring them to your local shelter, or give them to family or friends.