Keeping those unwanted insect away from your home this summer might be easier than you expect! The cleaning experts at MOLLY MAID suggest natural ways to stop those critters this summer without using harmful toxins.
Reduce Clutter and Maintain a Clean Home
The first step in eliminating and preventing unwanted insects in your home, is to remove clutter and clean your home thoroughly. Clutter often provides insects with ample hiding places to build their homes. It can also prevent you from cleaning up crumbs and left over food that often attracts insects. To start the decluttering process, begin by purging items you no longer need. Organize the rest of the items you would like to keep. Clean and disinfect your home thoroughly. Be sure to maintain your home on a regular basis to prevent insects from coming back.
Use Natural Ingredients to Repel Insects
There are many different natural ingredients that can be used to repel insects. More often than not, you may have to use a combination of one or two solutions to help keep the bugs away. The residential cleaning experts at MOLLY MAID suggest the following household items to use as natural insect repellent:
1) Vinegar. Vinegar is a fantastic multipurpose product. It can be used as a cleaner, disinfectant, and even as an ant repellent! Spray vinegar on and around the areas of your home where ants are often present. This should keep the ants at bay!
2) Plants and Herbs. Basil, mint, lemongrass, rosemary, garlic citronella plants and marigolds are all great plants for keeping those unwanted bugs away! Plant these types of plants in your garden or in pots around the doors and windows of your home. These plants will not only add colour to your exterior but also help repel insects. You can even place pieces of crushed herbs inside your home and sprinkle them around the areas that attract the most insects.
3) Cinnamon. Cinnamon is also a fantastic ant repellent. Sprinkle some cinnamon on and around areas of the home where ants are present. You can also dust items such as a sugar bowl with cinnamon to help keep the ants away.
4) Talcum Powder. Like cinnamon, talcum powder can be used to keep the ants at bay. Sprinkle talcum powder on and around the problem areas in your home where ants are present.
5) Chalk. Chalk is a great item to use to repel those troublesome ants. Draw a circle around the opening of the area where the ants are entering your home. The ants will not cross over the chalk line.
Personal Insect Repellent
Insects not only cause problems inside your home, but also love to bother you outdoors. The following is a list of natural items that can be modified to act as a personal insect repellent:
1) Herbs. Steep mint, rosemary, or basil in hot water like you would tea. Pour the mixture into a spray bottle and store in your fridge. Spray the liquid on your skin as a bug repellent when needed.
2) Dryer Sheets. Keep dryer sheets in your pockets and/or rub the dryer sheets on your skin and clothes before going outside.
3) Citrus Peels. Rub citrus peels (oranges, lemons, limes) on skin to keep the bugs at bay.
4) Vanilla Extract. Mix 1 cup of water and 1 tbsp. of vanilla extract. Make sure that corn syrup is not an additive in the vanilla extract or it will make your skin sticky. Spray the mixture on your skin. This should act as a repellent and keep those bugs away!