1. Decorate. Head to your favourite department or dollar store and stock up on celebration paraphernalia, such as party hats, noise makers, decorations and other celebratory items. Decorate the family room or living room.
2. Dress Up. Decide together that everyone in the family is going to dress up – and go all out. And break out the glitter and get fancy in a fun way. Is there a vintage dress in the back of the closet? Is there costume jewelry, feather boas and tiaras you can pull out too?
3. Great Food. Prepare a special meal – one your kids may have never tried. A fondue for example is fun and kids love dipping food into bubbling cheese, or for dessert, fruit into chocolate.
4. Games Night. Make it a fun games night with card and board games that everyone enjoys. Between games, serve snacks, and plan a celebration at the end with prizes for winners.
5. Dance Party. Set your living room up as a dance club with low lights or candles and a bare floor area where it's safe and fun to dance. Create a playlist of dance tunes ahead of time. Be sure to provide lots of snacks and make one or two songs 'spot dances' with prizes.
6. Midnight around the World. If your children are young, it might not be possible to keep them awake for midnight. Create a New Year's Eve celebration in another country – in another time zone. So midnight comes earlier!
7. Skating Party. If the weather's right and there's an indoor or outdoor rink nearby, gather friends and family together for an hour or two on ice. Then everyone head back to your place for hot chocolate, snacks, and champagne for the adults.
8. Family Memories. Have everyone in the family prepare a presentation of family memories (either a video, a montage of photographs or even a little speech) and everyone takes turns sharing it. In between, be sure to snack on favourites. At midnight, raise a glass of bubbly (champagne for the adults, ginger ale or other bubbly pop for the kids) to the New Year ahead.
9. Leave the Clean-up for Tomorrow. Having to clean up in the midst of a party can be a bummer. Arrange for your home cleaning service from MOLLY MAID to start the New Year right!