It’s estimated that in the U.S., 500 million single-use plastic straws are disposed of every single day! The horrific consequences of that usage are startling, and luckily, getting more air time. Studies suggest that as many as 8.3 billion plastic straws pollute the world’s beaches – maring the landscape and harming wildlife. So, it should come as no surprise that single-use plastic straws are the latest plastic products being banned, taxed and boycotted.
Thankfully, there are already many reusable straw alternatives for those who love their ice cold beverages with a straw. Starbucks is just one of many chains to announce that they’ll completely eliminate single-use plastic straws by 2020, favouring recyclable paper straws. Stainless steel straws are another great option, especially for personal use. Just like your stainless steel cutlery, these straws are perfectly safe to use, and unlike many reusable plastic straws, they’re BPA free. For less than $20, you can invest in a set of stainless steel straws that can last you a lifetime!
Here’s how to keep your stainless steel straws clean and ready to use:
- Rinse the straw under hot water.
- Dampen your straw brush/cleaner, or grab a standard craft pipe cleaner like the ones you used in art class at public school.
- Rub a bit of mild dish soap onto the cleaning tool or pipe cleaner until it gets sudsy. Now, simply push it back and forth through the straw to remove any sticky residue left over from your drink. If the residue is being stubborn, leave it to soak in hot water and then repeat the first three steps.
- Once you feel the inside is sufficiently scrubbed, wash the rest of the straw with soap and water.
- Let air dry before putting away to avoid rusting.
PRO TIP: Protect your stainless steel straws from debris by carrying them in a pencil case. Two cases, if you prefer to have one for clean straws and another for dirty. Now, you can throw them in your backpack or purse and take them wherever you go.
Interested in learning more? Check out Surfrider’s Straws Suck campaign online. Surfrider is based in B.C. and is working with local businesses to reduce unnecessary plastic waste like disposable plastic straws, take-out containers and plastic bags.
If the environment is still on your mind, take some time to learn about our eco-friendly Green Housekeeping Program. Our team is committed to the health and safety of our customers, their family and pets, our team members, and to protect the environment. Contact us to find a local Molly Maid near you today!
Photo by Olivier Guillard