Spring is a wonderful time to lend a hand – and make it count for your family and the organization you are helping.
The biggest reason people donate their time and skills, according to Volunteer Canada, is to contribute to their communities.
But there are lots of personal rewards too.
Volunteers learn new skills like raking leaves, making soup or helping someone learn a sport. They inspire others, especially younger family members, to discover new interests in life. Volunteering provides a way to meet new people, have fun, feel fulfilled, and reduce stress.
Volunteering as a family is a great way to unplug from the daily household chaos and spend quality time together. Many organizations that benefit from volunteerism often plan family-friendly activities.
In Canada, National Volunteer Week is April 12 to 18.
Here are some ways to get involved in volunteer activities. .
- Approach a local food bank.
- Talk to the HR department at your work to see if there are volunteer activities coming up.
- Visit a neighbourhood church or school to see if there are activities that require volunteers.
- Do an online search of charitable organizations and their needs.
- Offer to help a neighbour who might need help with spring chores or walking their dog.