When it's hot, there's nothing more fun or refreshing than a water games day with family or friends. Everyone gets to be a kid again!
Advise everyone to bring their swimsuit, a towel, flip flops and waterproof sunscreen. Add a little background music, snacks and cold lemonade. And turn on the water!
- Spend an afternoon at an outdoor community pool. Then, pick up pizza for dinner on the way back home.
- Pack a picnic and go to a conservation area that has a lake.
- Buy or borrow a few kiddie pools and splash around with the little ones.
- Have a pool party if you have a backyard pool. Make sure someone is always acting as lifeguard. Be sure to have rules about safe behaviour in the pool.
- Turn on the sprinkler and take turns running through it.
- Gather as many spray bottles, buckets, tubs, and water toys as possible, then have a water fight!
- Fill a bunch of balloons with water and try one of these fun games.
- Water Balloon Spoon Races: Fill up small water balloons and race them on a spoon, much like an egg race. First to the finish line with balloon intact wins!
- Water Balloon Toss: Grab a partner and stand across from them. Toss a water balloon back and forth, stepping further back with each toss. For a variation, consider catching the balloon in a bowl, bucket, or towel.
- Water Balloon Bust or 'Hot Potato' Balloon: Everyone sits in a circle. Play music and pass a water balloon around the circle. When the music ended (someone should be manning the music), the person left with the balloon can break it over their head. Or, they can choose to squeeze it over another person's head. Use a new water-filled balloon and play again.